Current time: 08/09/2024, 02:19 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Warrington's Own Buses
RE: Warrington's Own Buses
(19/08/2024 07:57)Valandil Wrote:  It also remains to be seen if the new almost totally plain yellow livery will see off the Cheshire Cat branding too, or if they will make an exception and updated branding will be used there.

With the X5 not running via Stockton Heath, it has lost a bit of meaning, with the vehicles being commonplace on that route. I've caught one of the red and blue MMCs and the destination display was alternating between X5 Manchester Airport and The Cheshire Cat!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(19/08/2024 16:52)knutstransport Wrote:  With the X5 not running via Stockton Heath, it has lost a bit of meaning, with the vehicles being commonplace on that route. I've caught one of the red and blue MMCs and the destination display was alternating between X5 Manchester Airport and The Cheshire Cat!

I know "X" has the idea of "express" to go along with it, but I did think calling it (Cat)5A would have been good, so "A" can indicate "Airport", like in Liverpool.

In other news, route 18 will become P18 during Priestley College term times, probably pushing normal punters off in the process, and there will be route changes to include Omega.
(23/08/2024 11:13)Valandil Wrote:  I know "X" has the idea of "express" to go along with it, but I did think calling it (Cat)5A would have been good, so "A" can indicate "Airport", like in Liverpool.

X normally means it skips stops. For example, for Manchester to the Trafford Centre the 250 stops at every stop on it's route, but the X50 only stops at selected stops. It makes the final leg on the X5 around the airport seem a bit strange, not only does it stop at every stop but it diverts off the direct route to serve the cargo park.
(25/08/2024 08:36)knutstransport Wrote:  X normally means it skips stops. For example, for Manchester to the Trafford Centre the 250 stops at every stop on it's route, but the X50 only stops at selected stops. It makes the final leg on the X5 around the airport seem a bit strange, not only does it stop at every stop but it diverts off the direct route to serve the cargo park.

Indeed X is supposed to mean the route is express with few stops [although in some areas X means cross country], but then you have the Arriva X30 which serves all stops on the route, the Arriva X30 was C30 back in the day, but was renumbered to X30 in the mid 90s when Warrington launched their own 30X during the Warrington/North Western bus war.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
I think WOB's numbering is done for the benefit of people catching a bus from Warrington Bus Station.

If you're going to Stockton Heath or a stop on the way - catch any Cat numbered route. It makes it easy for people who may not know where Northwich or Altrincham is, or even if they do which route the service follows.

If you're going to Altrincham the X5 is faster than the Cat5.
(26/08/2024 04:35)MTL0201 Wrote:  but was renumbered to X30 in the mid 90s when Warrington launched their own 30X during the Warrington/North Western bus war.

Whether the X goes before or after the number is another strange one. I remember at one point GHA Coaches ran some 27X journeys and I thought that was strange they put the X after the number, not before. In that case they ran the 27 Knutsford to Macclesfield which doesn't follow the direct route, but decided to operate some positional moves as passenger services, following roughly the direct route and numbered them 27X. I seem to recall they even used a new service registration, so when they closed their Macclesfield outstation they cancelled the 27X, rather than revised the 27 registration.
Based on the tracking it seems the new electric vehicles are getting around. One spent last Wednesday on the N4 and another did both a Cat9 and a X5 working at the weekend.
(19/08/2024 07:57)Valandil Wrote:  With the many BZL single-deckers now arriving and entering service, it raises the question of when the double-deckers will start arriving and how many there will be.

It also remains to be seen if the new almost totally plain yellow livery will see off the Cheshire Cat branding too, or if they will make an exception and updated branding will be used there.

With them coming on stream later than expected, I have doubts about coming on my original target date of October 26th.

While I may have managed without mid-length single deckers, there is no way I'd want to come before the double-deckers are in service.

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)