Current time: 14/07/2024, 18:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VOSA Bus Registration Search
RE: VOSA Bus Registration Search
B10B6514, what year were you born? Prior to Deregulation in 1986 all bus services in Merseyside (and throughout the country as far as I recall) were operated by the local PTE or local authority. In fact bus services then ran 365 days a year, including Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, albeit on a Sunday service with an early (10pm) finish. What you might recall, or not, was that in the those days if Boxing Day and New Year's Day fell on a Sunday, a Sunday service was still provided even though all shops were closed. (Shops and stores were not allowed to open on a Sunday until 1994). I can remember getting a bus into Liverpool on many a Boxing and New Year's Day in the 60's and 70's and walking around a desolate city centre when all shops, pubs and restaurants were closed. Back then I questioned the need for a comprehensive bus service when essentially there was absolutely no reason or need to travel into the city centre. However, today Liverpool, like many major cities in the UK is a vibrant, bustling, cosmopolitan city that needs and deserves a bus service 365 days a year.

Also, prior to deregulation, what you may not be aware of is that on Boxing Day and New Year's Day as well as Sunday service, a full football special service to either Anfield or Goodison Park using as many as 80 buses was provided by the LCPT/MPTE. How do I know all this? My father worked these services.

What really does perplex me these days is why London doesn't run any services on Christmas Day.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: VOSA Bus Registration Search - Damien - 17/06/2012, 00:36
RE: VOSA Bus Registration Search - Barney - 26/12/2013 23:06

User(s) browsing this thread: 21 Guest(s)