Current time: 19/09/2024, 22:53 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Northern Rail
RE: Northern Rail
It seems in the last week the reliability of the Overhead Line between Huyton and Liverpool has come into question.

There is always going to be problems with new OHLE as it settles in.

For a good majority of yesterday afternoon and early evening diesel units had to be provided to replace electric services with the consequent problems elsewhere that causes.
Find all posts by this user
When I was coming back yesterday afternoon at around 1545, I asked the staff when the next train would be to St Helens and was told not until 1703 and there was no word on whether Northern were going to provide replacement Road transport. Needless to say I decided to go for the 352 instead. It was chaos at Wigan as there problems with Virgin's London service, on journey being about 2 hours late.
I presume there must be a few 319's down as there was a Pacer on the Wigan stoppers afternoon. Noticed on the 1331 from Wigan North Western.
(12/06/2015 05:48)wirralbus Wrote:  It seems in the last week the reliability of the Overhead Line between Huyton and Liverpool has come into question.

There is always going to be problems with new OHLE as it settles in.

For a good majority of yesterday afternoon and early evening diesel units had to be provided to replace electric services with the consequent problems elsewhere that causes.

According to the Rail UK forums the OHLE was tripped by heat expansion and they were unable to reset it. I strongly disagree about the Liverpool-Huyton OHLE'S reliability being questioned because this is the first time any major issues have occurred since the Class 319s entered traffic back in March

The problem last week was caused by a bird's nest in the OHLE - not the wiring itself
Heat expansion doesnt seem to be a problem on the day in question on other OHLE in the North West area , something must have failed and failed pretty rapidly , to be honest we have had hotter weather in recent years , if we get that sort of weather this OHLE will fail more and more .
(14/06/2015 11:24)wirralbus Wrote:  Heat expansion doesnt seem to be a problem on the day in question on other OHLE in the North West area , something must have failed and failed pretty rapidly , to be honest we have had hotter weather in recent years , if we get that sort of weather this OHLE will fail more and more .

It happens. Even the most reliable cars break down

The way you have said the reliability of the OHLE on the Liverpool to Huyton section is being brought into question makes it sound like it has failed on a regular basis which is far from the case
If you put it into this context though , there has been two failures in quick succession on the line to Huyton , how many times have we had problems with the section of line to Liverpool South Parkway.
(14/06/2015 15:39)wirralbus Wrote:  If you put it into this context though , there has been two failures in quick succession on the line to Huyton , how many times have we had problems with the section of line to Liverpool South Parkway.

As I stated previously - one occurrence was down to the fact there was a bird's nest in the OHLE which is hardly a "failure" at all. Just because of a single failure of the OHLE because of heat expansion you're saying that the overhead power supply on the Liverpool to Huyton section is unreliable which I strongly disagree with

I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare Liverpool-Huyton to Lime Street-South Parkway considering the former has been live for less than six months and the latter for considerably longer
(14/06/2015 16:12)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  As I stated previously - one occurrence was down to the fact there was a bird's nest in the OHLE which is hardly a "failure" at all. Just because of a single failure of the OHLE because of heat expansion you're saying that the overhead power supply on the Liverpool to Huyton section is unreliable which I strongly disagree with

I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare Liverpool-Huyton to Lime Street-South Parkway considering the former has been live for less than six months and the latter for considerably longer
53 years longer!

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
If it isn't the OHLE its the Class 319 units tripping up , yesterday a 319 decide to disgrace itself at Ordsall Lane Junction , effectively pulling the plug on any service between Eccles / Salfard Crescent and Manchester Oxford Road / Deansgate.

Have I heard correctly also that there has been an objection to the TWAO with regards the link between Manchester Victoria and Manchester Piccadilly.
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 43 Guest(s)