Current time: 28/06/2024, 05:31 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dublin & Ireland
RE: Dublin & Ireland
Citylink Ireland may have a new livery. Gobus was taken over by Citylink and their former fleet livery has been revised with the Gobus name vanishing.
[Image: DSC_0013%20%281280x808%29-L.jpg]
221G1791 Custom House 29 May 2024

Some non diesel buses from this evening!
[Image: DSC_0019%20%281280x862%29-L.jpg]
HWD1 Beresford Place 29 May 2024 - Hydrogen fueled HWD1 on the evening peak 105X. These still only operate on either the 103X or 105X in the peaks.

[Image: DSC_0015%20%281280x1005%29-L.jpg]
EW6 Abbey St 29 May 2024 - A vent over the cab has been replaced with a box cover, rumours were circulating of leaks in the cab.

[Image: DSC_0022%20%281280x853%29-L.jpg]
231D845 Beresford Place 29 May 2024 - Operating an evening Microsoft shuttle, think these are operated by Nolan Coaches.

https://transportsceneireland.smugmug.co...I-May-2024
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I am coming to Ireland later this month.

Although most of my buses will be in Dublin, I plan to ride a BYD-E200EV single deck in Athlone.

For a change I may use a different company from Dublin Airport to the city centre.
(01/06/2024 11:17)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I am coming to Ireland later this month.

Although most of my buses will be in Dublin, I plan to ride a BYD-E200EV single deck in Athlone.

For a change I may use a different company from Dublin Airport to the city centre.

Well have a great trip, there is plenty to see! The Athlone EAs are nice buses, there are rumours that some of the Dublin ones may appear in service very soon, they are out on training duties almost every day.

Dublin Express - part of Nat Ex, operate the 782, 783 and 784 to/ from the Airport and Aircoach the 700. Dublin Express are more frequent and more reliable, Aircoach are in some form of decline thanks to increased management by First. I'd avoid DB route 16, and I generally do even thought it is one of my local routes. The 41 is the quicker route into town, with new EW electrics on it.

I'd advise getting a Leap Card. The shops in the Airport would sell them. There is a €5 charge up front, but fares are far cheaper than cash. Within Dubin its tap and go, tap on only on buses, on/ off for trains and Luas trams. Leap works in Athlone, Cork, Galway etc.
I took a last minute spin on Route 139 from Blanchardstown to Naas. This is now an hourly service which is stretching the operater JJ Kavanagh as in addtion to the usual Volvo/ EvoRas, a Tourismo coach was on the run.

[Image: DSC_0006%20%281280x841%29-L.jpg]
181KK1443 Main St, Naas 1 June 2024 - This is wearing an alternative NTA livery which was never rolled out to many buses. It is vinyl and in poor nick now.

[Image: DSC_0008%20%281280x874%29-L.jpg]
221KK449 Main St, Naas 1 June 2024 - I was tempted to go for a long spin on this to the coast. One of many new/ expanded Local Link services throughout the Country. You could get this from Arklow to Naas, the 139 to Blanchardstown and Bus Éireann 105 to Drogheda, doing a very outer orbital loop of the city.

[Image: DSC_0011%20%281280x882%29-L.jpg]
212LS462 Main St, Naas 1 June 2024 - Another Local Link.

[Image: DSC_0012%20%281280x790%29-L.jpg]
LF864 Main St, Naas 1 June 2024 - The core route here is the 126 and its many versions. Mix of these new double decker coaches and the Sunsun coach/ bus mix. The 126D is going to Rathangan.
(01/06/2024 20:29)redstar Wrote:  Well have a great trip, there is plenty to see! The Athlone EAs are nice buses, there are rumours that some of the Dublin ones may appear in service very soon, they are out on training duties almost every day.

Dublin Express - part of Nat Ex, operate the 782, 783 and 784 to/ from the Airport and Aircoach the 700. Dublin Express are more frequent and more reliable, Aircoach are in some form of decline thanks to increased management by First. I'd avoid DB route 16, and I generally do even thought it is one of my local routes. The 41 is the quicker route into town, with new EW electrics on it.

I'd advise getting a Leap Card. The shops in the Airport would sell them. There is a €5 charge up front, but fares are far cheaper than cash. Within Dubin its tap and go, tap on only on buses, on/ off for trains and Luas trams. Leap works in Athlone, Cork, Galway etc.

Thank you for your heads-up. I have used routes 16 and 41 before. As I am travelling for 3 solid days on Dublin Bus and Luas (plus my side trip to Athlone) I quite like using an alternative Airport service. Dublin Express does sound better than Aircoach.

I still have my visitor's leap card from my last holiday in 2016. I shall see whether I can top it up, otherwise buy a new one. I can seek advice whether/how to include Athlone if applicable.
I have decided to postpone Athlone and not go there next week.

You have indicated that Dublin will get some EAs in due course.

Also, having seen some of the east and west coast of Ireland, I feel like seeing some of central Ireland. I would therefore prefer to travel to Athlone from Cavan, Limerick or Waterford rather than from Dublin. I can do that another time.
(15/06/2024 07:20)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I have decided to postpone Athlone and not go there next week.

You have indicated that Dublin will get some EAs in due course.

Also, having seen some of the east and west coast of Ireland, I feel like seeing some of central Ireland. I would therefore prefer to travel to Athlone from Cavan, Limerick or Waterford rather than from Dublin. I can do that another time.

It is very evident that the NTA have developed rural services to a decent standard, this is partially visible through the Bustimes map but what is not shown is the multitude of Local Link services that fill in the gaps.
Athlone can be reached from a number of directions including the 190 from Drogheda which is a relatively recent addition to the regional bus network.

The EAs are due to operate the new O orbital route, with a relatively high PVR as they are more than likely going to be bogged down in traffic in the peaks.
Enjoy the trip.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)